Symbiosis International (Deemed University) (SIU) has announced the NEP Compliant four-year degree programme with multiple entry and exit options. The full-time programme, revised from 2023-24, is spread over a period of four years and is spaced out over eight semesters. Benchmarked for quality and contemporary connect with the undergraduate structures in apex universities in the world, our programme incorporates lively theoretical lectures, hands-on practical sessions, tutorials, classroom presentations and take-home assignments. Furthermore, field trips, study tours, projects and an intensive internship structure help add to the depth of learning in the programme.
The four-year undergraduate programme that teaches students the technical skills and social understanding required to write manage and communicate to the general public about business, history, culture, budget issues, governmental matters, entertainment, and sports through mass communication mediums such as television, radio, and web-based social networks.
The features of the programmes at the Symbiosis Centre for Media and Communication (SCMC) include major specialisation options in the areas of Branding and Media Management; Digital Marketing and Advertising Management; Film Production and Film Studies; Multimedia Journalism; Corporate Communications and Public Relations; and, Media Entrepreneurship.
The highlights of the programme offerings are as under:
- The Programme framework allows exciting options to pursue majors, minors as well as the opportunity to pursue multidisciplinary, ability and skill enhancement courses.
- It offers a good blend of immersive learning, research and community engagement.
- Includes opportunities for semester exchange programmes with foreign universities.
- It offers the following exit options
1. A Certificate at the end of the first year of the programme with 44 credits
2. A Diploma at the end of the first two years of the programme with 84 credits
3. A UG Degree at the end of 3 years of the programme with 120 credits
4. A UG Degree with Honours / Research at the end of the 4 years of the programme with 160 credits
- The programme offers option of re-entry within 3 years of exit, and 7 years as the maximum permissible period to completion.
The programme provides a thorough grasp at both the academic and practical levels, Some of the courses covered in the programme include Communication Theories and Models, Brand management, Advertising management, Digital Marketing, Public Relations, Design and Graphics, Online Journalism, Print Media Reporting and Editing, Radio Production, Data Journalism, Photo-Journalism, Event Management, and Media Law and Ethics.
SCMC Pune has a vibrant college and campus culture that promotes sports and cultural events, and club and association activities that cultivate leadership, camaraderie, and competitive spirit.
We provide a complete learning experience through conventional academics and research as wll as experiential learning through our curriculum. We are one of the leading media colleges in India that offer undergraduate specialisation/courses, accompanied by comprehensive homework and academic sessions led by professionals.
Given below are the Programme Outcomes for the full-time BA (Mass Communication) and BBA (Communication management) programmes at Symbiosis Centre for Media and Communication.
All the Programme outcomes of SCMC are aligned with the following graduate attributes of Symbiosis International (Deemed University):
- Scholarship: research, inquiry and lifelong learning
- Global citizenship: ethical, social and professional understanding.
- Eco-literate: sensitivity towards a sustainable environment.
- Employability: equipped with skills, attributes, leadership and entrepreneurial qualities that society needs; being capable of making a contribution to society through earning a living.
The following are the Programme Outcomes for the full-time BA (Mass Communication) and BBA (Media Management) programmes at Symbiosis Centre for Media and Communication (SCMC). Students completing the programme should be able to:
- 1. Theoretical & Historical Perspectives: Understand and apply the concepts and theories in the areas of communication; and demonstrate an understanding of the history & evolution of media forms and the role of professionals/institutions in shaping communications.
- 2. Effective Communication: Write correctly and clearly in forms and styles appropriate for the communications professions, audiences and purposes they serve by converting knowledge and experience learnt in the class room and simulated environments, and applied to the real world situations.
- 3. Diversity and Sustainability: Demonstrate an understanding of the diversity of peoples, regions, countries and cultures, ideas and opinions; and of the significance and impact of communications in addressing local/global issues related to environment, sustainability and resource management.
- 4. Service & Development Orientation: Understand the communication needs of developing societies, develop empathy and understanding, and become the voice of underprivileged, voiceless communities.
- 5. Problem Solving, Critical Thinking & Research: Apply their knowledge and understanding for complex problem solving in the real-world; think critically, creatively and independently and conduct research relevant to the communications professions in which they work.
- 6. Professionalism & Ethics: Understand and apply the principles and laws of freedom of speech and press; demonstrate an understanding of professional ethical principles in governance and management, and work professionally and ethically in pursuit of truth, accuracy and fairness.
- 7. Technology Application: Apply modern tools and technologies relevant to various media and communications professions for purposes of production, creative design and research in both non-digital and digital communications world.
- 8. Leadership, Management & Teamwork: Develop leadership skills, business acumen, managerial skills and the ability to work effectively in teams for potential self-employment, entrepreneurship and/or to contribute to enhancing the productivity, efficiency and bottom-lines of organisations employing them.
- 9. Lifelong Learning: Continuous knowledge and upgrading of skills in accordance with the changing requirements of the media and communications domains; develop adaptability and the keenness to be a life-long learner.
- 10. Values: Keep and enhance the core cultural and professional values of SIU in their daily work and lives while participating in the programme as well as in their future professional and personal lives.
The four-year full-time programmes are structured as below:
- Multidisciplinary and foundation
- Major and minor courses
- Skill and ability enhancement
- Research and honours-oriented
The multidisciplinary and foundation cluster is a set of essential courses required of all students, irrespective of their choice in major. Clearly aimed at providing a multidisciplinary perspective, the cluster primarily provides a sound base and transition into a more professional realm.
The major and minors cluster is a set of common courses that have a high component of skills, professional inputs and inter-related content. The students in their second year have the option of taking up specialisations in Media Communication or Communication Management.
The major cluster is focused on specific professional areas that the student might want to choose in the course of his or her career. The Media Communication students can choose to specialize in Journalism or Audio-Visual Production and the Communication Management students may specialize in Advertising or Public Relations discipline.
The list of major and minor options are:
- Branding and Media Management
- Digital Marketing and Advertising Management
- Film Production and Film Studies
- Broadcast and Print Journalism
- Digital Media and Online Journalism
- Corporate Communications and Public Relations
- Media Entrepreneurship
The definition of media has undergone a radical change in recent times. The shift is not merely technological, but that of perception of society about media and the awareness of the potential that lies in the active participation in the creation of media.
We pride ourselves as leaders in media education and our core mission is to create exceptional communicators and future-ready professionals, capable of understanding, responding to and actively engaging with global issues that need attention.